Thursday, September 15, 2011

Our Deepest Fear...


...is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.

I love this speech given by Nelson Mandela and I’ll give you more of it in a moment.
  But first, would you consider the possibility that you might be hiding your light within.  Maybe you've had glimpses of the power of your own light and you find it intimidating or maybe you just feel unworthy.  I’ve learned this truth from personal experience as I spent too many years with many a bright idea that sadly made it no further than the tip of my brain or, if it was lucky, the paper in my journal.  Why you might ask?  It’s a complex answer that simply boils down to fear~fear of failure and fear of success.  I don’t mean to say that I’ve not done any worthwhile thing in my life as I have accomplished many good things (serve a mission, obtain a good education, become an educator, serve in church callings just to name a few).  My point is that I know God has more for me to do…and it’s high time they find their voice!  Now would be a good time to continue with Mandela’s quote:

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do.

Mandela says it in such a way to leave one with little excuse.  I personally believe we play it small in our lives when we don’t live life on life’s terms.  Maybe we take the victim mentality helpless to our circumstances or the actions of others (husband, children, boss, you get the idea-just fill in the blank).  Or maybe we don’t pursue our passion or personal mission because we are too concerned of what others may say or think about us.  But as Mandela so boldly testifies:

We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us, it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
My friend, I submit to you that your greatest joy, satisfaction, and serenity will come when you do what you were born to do.  Feelings off discontentment, unsettledness (that hole in the heart) is there partly because we are running from a grand destiny (to manifest the glory of God within us). 

My goal with this blog is to inspire you (and me) to let the light shine in our own lives specifically to our husbands, children, and community.  For we will not unlock the light in others until we find our own.



Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candletick: and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your father which is in heaven      (Matthew 5:15-16).

Walk in the light of your fire    (Isaiah 50:11)

Give light to them that sit in darkness     (Luke 1:79)




No comments:

Post a Comment