Not only is this quick and easy ~ it's pretty too!
(your family may think you spent hours)
They say nothing spells love like a home cooked meal. I say, presentation exudes love. I basically took meat and a potato and arranged or decorated them to please the eye.
Yea, I could have nuked a potato and slapped meat on the plate. It would have tasted the same. Yet I like to think my extra effort says "hey family; I love you; come sit, relax, and enjoy this beautiful meal I made especially for you".
- 4 med-large pork chops (or meat of choice, approx 1 lb)
- 3 med potatoes
- (optional ) 1/2 lb. vegetables of choice i.e. sliced mushrooms, onions
- (optional) 1 cup or can of cooked brown gravy
- olive oil
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
Useful effecient kitchen tools
make all the difference!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sear meat in a pan on high heat and then cube (you do not need to cook meat through, it will finish in the oven)
- Thinly slice potatoes into rounds (I use food slicer for nice even slices)
- Mix gravy, meat and vegetable in a bowl then pour into your baking dish (I used an 11" round baking stone). Top the dish with potato slices laying in a concentric circle and overlapping each slice by about 2/3).
- Brush top of potato with olive oil. Then spice with salt, pepper, and garlic to taste.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender and golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
Alternative Prep Options:
- you don't have to cook it in gravy, instead you can spoon gravy over your dish at the table (this is what I do because I don't eat gravy).
veg & gravy served separetely
Side Veggie options:
- Whole Kernel Corn (I like frozen) cooked in a skillet with butter, seasoning salt and garlic until slightly caramelized
- Canned Green Beans with spaghetti sauce poured over the top (nuked)